Krisztina “Z” Holly has had quite the illustrious career in tech and manufacturing. Her list of accomplishments includes creating the first ever TEDx events, working for multiple successful tech startups, spearheading innovation centers at USC and MIT, and currently, serving as the Founder & “Chief Instigator” for MAKE IT IN LA – LA Mayor Garcetti’s regional maker-focused non-profit – and her own podcast “The Art of Manufacturing.”
Z joins us on the show today to tell us how manufacturing is “sexy” while covering a range of topics – from iterative design processes to sustainable manufacturing. We focus on the importance of manufacturing ecosystems, exercising that entrepreneurial mindset, and why manufacturers need to dream big.
3 Quick Things from this Episode
- For a manufacturing ecosystem to be successful, you need a collaborative manufacturing community.
- Iteration is a key way that manufacturers can adopt an entrepreneurial mentality.
- Having a big vision is critical to the success of manufacturers, but also necessary for creating a better future.
Enjoying the show? Please leave us a review here. Even one sentence helps. It’s feedback from Manufacturing All-Stars like you that keeps us going!
- “It’s not about solving problems, it’s about imagining a different future.” –Krisztina “Z” Holly
Please Scroll Down for Full Show Notes and Recommended Resources from this Episode
Interested in generating leads through videos, podcasts, or other digital content? Then make sure to check out our 6 Strategies for Growing Your Manufacturing Business Using Social Media.
Audible is the world’s largest library of audiobooks and other spoken-word entertainment. Get a FREE audiobook when you sign up at audibletrial.com/happyhourpod.
What We Discuss with Z
- Z opens with the importance of creating local manufacturing ecosystems, and how she would help faculty at MIT start companies by bringing in industry catalysts (i.e. mentors) to start building that web of resources.
- Imagine a bigger future, don’t just solve immediate problems.
- Iteration is important, but in manufacturing, it’s not always practical since you’re working with physical products. Z gives the example of how Divergent 3D is a company that is 3D printing cars to accelerate the development of autonomous vehicles.
- MAKE IT IN LA is a community of creators turning passions into products in Los Angeles, featuring educational programming, online content, factory tours, and advice from industry experts.
- Kevin Czinger of Divergent 3D on The Art of Manufacturing
- Full-length interview with Z on Pubcast Worldwide