Like many entrepreneurs, Joe Carson was leading a successful career at a large company. After spending his first 5 years out of college at Rockwell Automation, he didn’t want to risk living with regret and couldn’t resist the startup urge any longer. Joe is the Founder of Pacific Blue Engineering, a Long Beach-based control systems integrator that’s been growing across California and beyond for over 4 years.
In this episode, Joe walks us through his own journey of building Pacific Blue Engineering and the investments he makes in himself and his team to stay on top of their game – both technically and physiologically. We even get his perceptions on the future of automation, and why the opportunity to migrate legacy control systems and enable the Connected Enterprise have Joe excited for what’s ahead.
3 Quick Things from this Episode
- Your physiology impacts your psychology. Morning routines and exercise have a positive effect on your performance at work.
- Culture is everything at Pacific Blue Engineering because having a strong team results in the best possible customer experience.
- The Connected Enterprise is creating new opportunities for manufacturers to adopt new automation technologies that protect them from obsolescence risk while giving them new capabilities to be more productive.
Enjoying the show? Please leave us a review here. Even one sentence helps. It’s feedback from Manufacturing All-Stars like you that keeps us going!
- “I believe that everybody should love what they do…if you love what you do, you’re going to excel at what you do, and the end result will be an excellent product or service for your customer.” –Joe Carson
- “Your physiology impacts your psychology.” –Tony Robbins
Please Scroll Down for Full Show Notes and Recommended Resources from this Episode
Interested in generating leads through videos, podcasts, or other digital content? Then make sure to check out our 6 Strategies for Growing Your Manufacturing Business Using Social Media.
Audible is the world’s largest library of audiobooks and other spoken-word entertainment. Get a FREE audiobook when you sign up at audibletrial.com/happyhourpod.
What We Discuss with Joe
- We begin the interview learning about Joe’s journey starting Pacific Blue Engineering, and the feelings he encountered and actions he took after leaving a comfortable corporate job.
- When it comes to the “human element” of business, referrals are one of the intangible metrics Joe uses to measure success at Pacific Blue Engineering.
- Joe shares the lessons that he’s learned working for both a large organization, as well as his own small business.
- We kick off Round 2 learning how Pacific Blue Engineering got its name. Hint: It’s all about the team.
- Joe discusses how he invests in his team, and the investments he made in himself by training with world-renowned life and business strategist Tony Robbins. He also shares how Tony’s RPM system of thinking impacts the way he does business and leads his team. RPM stands for Results, Purpose, and taking Massive action.
- We talk about the Connected Enterprise, and why Joe is so excited about the future of automation, particularly legacy control system migrations. story about text message success story.
- Joe shares a couple of success stories, including how Pacific Blue Engineering has given their customers more visibility to their process via automated text messaging, as well some late-night programming escapades.
- We finish the interview with a mutual discussion about morning routines, and how a good routine can set the tone for the day.
- Pacific Blue Engineering – Long Beach-based control systems integrator that’s been growing across California and beyond for over 4 years, which recently expanded with a Northern California office
- The Connected Enterprise – Rockwell Automation’s vision for Industry 4.0. It converges plant-level and enterprise networks, and securely connects people, processes, and technologies across the globe, allowing for better collaboration, faster problem-solving, and improved innovation
- Tony Robbins – One of the world’s top life and business strategists, and author of 6 New York Times Best Sellers including MONEY: Master the Game and Unshakeable: Your Financial Freedom Playbook
- The Five Minute Journal – A bound journal with a simple structured format based on positive psychology research, and an invaluable tool to help you start and end each day with gratitude
- Pacifico – a Mexican-style pilsner lager consumed during this episode