Can you really make a business work if you have no experience?
Cody Lee, the President and Owner of Everyday Technologies, made that very leap when he took over the business. While his experience was limited, he’s had some fantastic advice from his father and father-in-law, which has helped Cody thrive in his new venture.
Cody joins this episode of Manufacturing Happy Hour to share where it all began, what led him to buy the business, and how he’s determined to scale it in the future. He explains why his primary focus is on building a talented workforce, revitalizing Everyday Technologies’ branding, updating systems, and playing to his own strengths. While it’s been a unique challenge, Cody’s more than embraced it and has injected new life into a brand that has been in operation for nearly 100 years!
3 Quick Things from this Episode
- You need to be passionate about your business and think beyond profits and what you can get out of it personally.
- You don’t need to be the smartest guy in the room as an entrepreneur. Cody believes you need to hire the smartest people and guide them.
- A business is a direct result of its people, and to hire the best, you need to get your brand and name out there. Show people what you can do to start attracting the best talent.
Enjoying the show? Please leave us a review here. Even one sentence helps. It’s feedback from Manufacturing All-Stars like you that keeps us going!
- “A business is the direct result of its people.”
- “If you have the right people in the right seats, clear expectations and hold them accountable to themselves and the folks around them, you can get anything done.”
- “The core mission of what we’re trying to do at the end of the day is just take care of our customers. Without them, there would be no growing, there’d be no revenue, there’d be nothing.”
Please Scroll Down for Recommended Resources from this Episode
Do you want to connect with other leaders that are moving the needle in manufacturing every day? Then make sure to join us in the Manufacturing Happy Hour Industry Community on LinkedIn.
SteamChain.io is the Machine-as-a-Service solution provider helping both End-Users and OEMs collaborate, drive revenue, and grow together. Learn more about them on Episode 5 of Manufacturing Happy Hour.
Audible is the world’s largest library of audiobooks and other spoken-word entertainment. Get a FREE audiobook when you sign up at audibletrial.com/happyhourpod.
Concept Systems Inc. is an independent systems integrator and your automation solution partner for anything from antiquated control system retrofits to greenfield controls coordination and project management. Learn more about them on Episode 7 of Manufacturing Happy Hour.
Interested in generating leads through videos, podcasts, or other digital content? Then make sure to check out our 6 Strategies for Growing Your Manufacturing Business Using Social Media.
What We Discuss with Cody Lee
- Cody’s first experiences with entrepreneurship
- The important lessons Cody learned from his father and father-in-law
- Why you need to be passionate about your business above all else
- How Cody bought Everyday Technologies
- The first steps he took when taking over the business
- The top changes and updates he made to the business
- The unexpected challenges that Cody had to deal with
- Why you don’t need to be the smartest guy in the room
- Why you need to pay attention to branding to attract top talent
- Why the success of a business is down to its people
- What Cody has planned for the future of Everyday Technologies
- Everyday Technologies, a leader in the metal fabrication industry, serving equipment manufacturing needs since 1928
- Murphy’s Craftbar and Kitchen, a bar in downtown Sidney, Ohio with over 50 craft brews on tap and a selection of IPAs and cocktails
Connect with Cody and Everyday Technologies