For many people, YouTube is the first port of call for instructions. Whether for simple things around the house like setting up a new TV or device, building a cabinet, or more complex topics entirely…Tim Wilborne is someone that’s demystifying those complex topics!
Tim’s YouTube channel, which has amassed over 50,000 subscribers, focuses on industrial automation, programming PLCs and helping you become a better technician. Tim joins this episode of Manufacturing Happy Hour to discuss his background in the industry and his YouTube channel in detail. He explains why he started the channel, how his family are a huge part of its success, and how to cope with haters. Plus, we discuss the pace of progress in the automation industry and why content creators are needed in this space.
Apple | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | YouTube
3 Quick Things from this Episode
- The automation world needs more content creators.
- Subscribers and likes don’t tell the whole story.
- Is it possible that automation could have progressed further with more risk-taking?
Enjoying the show? Please leave us a review here. Even one sentence helps. It’s feedback from Manufacturing All-Stars like you that keeps us going!
- “It takes thick skin. Just keep trying.” -Tim Wilborne on creating content
- “There were lots of times I thought I had it, and then, all of a sudden, we’d have a major defeat.” -Tim Wilborne on entrepreneurship
- “It’s a long game and I think most people aren’t prepared for how long of a game it is.” -Tim Wilborne on playing the long game
Please Scroll Down for Recommended Resources from this Episode
Do you want to connect with other leaders that are moving the needle in manufacturing everyday? Then make sure to join us in the Manufacturing Happy Hour Industry Community on LinkedIn.
A3 is the leading global automation trade association of the robotics, machine vision, motion control, and AI industries. Their events are some of the best places to get connected in the industry. Make sure to check out their marquee event Automate taking place in Detroit, MI May 22-25, 2023. Head to AutomateShow.com to register for free today.
Interested in generating leads through videos, podcasts, or other digital content? Then make sure to check out our 6 Strategies for Growing Your Manufacturing Business Using Social Media.
What We Discuss with Tim Wilborne
- Tim’s background in the industry
- How Tim started a YouTube channel
- Why subscribers and likes aren’t always so important
- How Tim amassed over 50,000 subscribers
- How to figure out what content to create
- About work-life balance in a family business
- How to deal with haters online
- Why Tim thinks his industry could’ve progressed further
- How constructive criticism helps Tim
- Why he thinks more industry experts should create YouTube content
- Advice for budding automation YouTube creators
- TW Controls, focused on automation, PLC programming, and building control panels, specializing in Allen Bradley PLC training designed to help maintenance technicians and electricians troubleshoot machines
- Tim Wilborne on YouTube, the long-running channel brought to you by TW Controls offers some of the best industrial automation training and how-to’s on the internet
- Automation Fair and other events from Rockwell Automation
- Momentum Coffee, a co-working space and coffee shop walking distance from Chicago’s McCormick Place Convention Center, plus additional locations
Connect with Tim and TW Controls
LinkedIn | Twitter | TW Controls