It’s time for a comprehensive history lesson in industrial automation recruiting.
We sat down in the MRG Studios in Naperville, Illinois, with Gary Miller, CEO of Miller Resource Group, an industrial recruiting firm focused on hard-to-find personnel in automation, robotics, food and beverage and more.
We’ve gotten to know a few members of the team over the years which is why it was about time we shared a conversation with their CEO!
On the episode, Gary tells us how he was introduced to industrial automation back in the 1970s, imparts advice on hiring strategy and standing out from the crowd as a recruiter, and lays out his interesting thoughts and ideas about leadership.
Make sure to visit ManufacturingHappyHour.com for detailed show notes and a full list of resources mentioned in this episode. Stay Innovative, Stay Thirsty.
Apple | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | YouTube
3 Quick Things from this Episode
- It’s important for salespeople to leave an impression on candidates, whether there is a hire or not.
- You should package and repackage your company story depending on the roles and areas you’re interviewing for.
- It’s highly beneficial to maintain a learning mindset and continue to find inspiration, whatever stage of your career.
Enjoying the show? Please leave us a review here. Even one sentence helps. It’s feedback from Manufacturing All-Stars like you that keeps us going!
- “There’s things and there’s stuff. Things you count, stuff you measure.”
- “When a candidate asks me questions that make me stumble, I’m usually intrigued by that candidate.”
- “You have to understand what the problem is. Then demonstrate how your skills can help solve that problem.”
Please Scroll Down for Recommended Resources from this Episode
Do you want to connect with other leaders that are moving the needle in manufacturing everyday? Then make sure to join us in the Manufacturing Happy Hour Industry Community on LinkedIn.
A3 is the leading global automation trade association of the robotics, machine vision, motion control, and AI industries. Their events are some of the best places to get connected in the industry. Make sure to check out their marquee event Automate taking place in Detroit, MI May 22-25, 2023. Head to AutomateShow.com to register for free today.
Interested in generating leads through videos, podcasts, or other digital content? Then make sure to check out our 6 Strategies for Growing Your Manufacturing Business Using Social Media.
What We Discuss with Gary
- Gary’s first steps in industrial automation
- How he stepped up to own his company in the 1980s
- How to package your company story
- Behind the curtain of recruitment
- What recruiters should look for in candidates
- What candidates should look for in recruiters
- How we can take inspiration from the Grateful Dead
- Why you should adopt a learning mindset
- The books that inspire him
- Miller Resource Group, the top executive recruiters in the automation industry
- Everything I Know About Business I Learned from the Grateful Dead: The Ten Most Innovative Lessons from a Long, Strange Trip, by Barry Barnes and John Perry Barlow
- Tao Te Ching, by Lao Tzu (author), Stephen Mitchell (translator)
- The Green Turtle Tavern, cocktails & bar snacks served in a laid-back spot with live bands, porch seats & a beach-house vibe in Fernandina Beach, FL
Connect with Gary and Miller Resource Group
LinkedIn | Twitter | Gary Miller