Tim Shope and his team at Avid Solutions are redefining what it means to be a systems integrator. While they specialize in process control and integrated solutions, they’re taking their craft a step further and offering true industrial IoT solutions, from wearables to remote access.
In this episode, Tim and I discuss smart manufacturing in the context of the collaborative work Avid has been doing with CESMII: The Smart Manufacturing Institute. We’ll discuss the impacts of AI on controls programming, the democratization of application libraries, as well as some cool examples of smart manufacturing projects that Avid Solutions is doing in conjunction with CESMII and North Carolina State University.
3 Quick Things from this Episode
- Thanks to the industrial IoT, automation code libraries are becoming more democratized and equipment profiles for common applications readily available.
- It’s only a matter of time before AI takes care of basic PLC programming tasks.
- Smart manufacturing and remote connectivity are more essential than ever as we return to work from COVID-19.
Enjoying the show? Please leave us a review here. Even one sentence helps. It’s feedback from Manufacturing All-Stars like you that keeps us going!
Please Scroll Down for Full Show Notes and Recommended Resources from this Episode
Interested in generating leads through videos, podcasts, or other digital content? Then make sure to check out our 6 Strategies for Growing Your Manufacturing Business Using Social Media.
Audible is the world’s largest library of audiobooks and other spoken-word entertainment. Get a FREE audiobook when you sign up at audibletrial.com/happyhourpod.
What We Discuss with Tim
- We start the conversation discussing how Avid has been helping customers during the Coronavirus pandemic, including remote connectivity and providing wearables to limit the number of 3rd party vendors in the facilities.
- Artificial Intelligence will eventually be responsible for basic programming tasks.
- North Carolina State University is one of CESMII’s hubs for smart manufacturing where Avid deployed the IIoT platfrom. Focus industries for this hub include pulp and paper, nonwovens, and biotech.
- Equipment profiles are becoming available for numerous applications, and are democratized and available similar to apps in the App Store.
- Tim shares a story where one of CESMII’s applications was quickly refocused to aid in the fight against COVID-19.
- Avid Solutions, a fast-growing engineering consulting firm specializing in industrial automation and information solutions
- The Purdue Model for enterprise architectures
- CESMII, the Smart Manufacturing Institute
- Revelry Barber & Shave Shop, an old-school barber shop in downtown Fuquay-Varina, NC with a bar and local craft beers on tap