Galina Antova is a security savant and the Co-Founder of Claroty, a leader in cybersecurity for operations technology for critical infrastructure. But, we cover a whole lot more than attack vectors and the current security threat landscape on today’s show.
In this episode, we kick off our interview discussing OT security strategies before moving to discussions on startups, managing rapid growth, and taking on unconscious bias in the workplace. Galina has thrived as a leader in a male-dominated industry, and she shares her story as well as the actions everyone can take to even the playing field.
From leading through uncertainty to navigating through a “perfect storm” in OT cybersecurity, this episode is packed with value from start to finish.
3 Quick Things from this Episode
- From remote access to aging OT control assets, right now is the “perfect storm” for cybersecurity because of the variety of attack vectors that exist.
- When leading through uncertainty, it all starts with communication.
- The numbers show that we have a long way to go when it comes to diversifying the workforce, and it’s the responsibilitity of those in power to invite underrepresented groups to power.
Enjoying the show? Please leave us a review here. Even one sentence helps. It’s feedback from Manufacturing All-Stars like you that keeps us going!
- “OT has been such a huge blindspot for security teams.” –Galina Antova
- “We don’t have to make statements. We don’t have to send emails telling our customers how much we support them. Let’s just go and do something for them to support them and they’ll see the results. Actions speak louder than words.” –Galina Antova
Please Scroll Down for Full Show Notes and Recommended Resources from this Episode
Do you want to connect with other leaders that are moving the needle in manufacturing everyday? Then make sure to join us in the Manufacturing Happy Hour Industry Community on LinkedIn.
Our sponsor Audible is the world’s largest library of audiobooks and other spoken-word entertainment. Get a FREE audiobook when you sign up at audibletrial.com/happyhourpod.
Interested in generating leads through videos, podcasts, or other digital content? Then make sure to check out our 6 Strategies for Growing Your Manufacturing Business Using Social Media.
What We Discuss with Galina
- While the world runs on operations technology (OT) networks, the conversation still predominantly revolves around IT security.
- Since many OT assets have been operating for 25+ years – coupled with a multitude of attack vectors and a broad threat landscape (ransomware, nation-state hackers, etc.) – right now is the “perfect storm” for OT security.
- From uptime requirement to network latency, Galina explains why IT security approaches should not be used for OT cybersecurity.
- After noticing gaps in OT cybersecurity offerings while working for large companies like Siemens and Intel, Galina saw the need for an OT-focused cybersecurity company like Claroty.
- Galina shares the story of co-founding Claroty with individuals from Unit 8200 of the Israeli military, the unit responsible for collecting signal intelligence and code decryption.
- We discuss what it’s like managing rapid growth and how Claroty has partnered with large companies even as a fast moving startup.
- During the pandemic, Galina and Claroty have focused on mental health and revenue flow, while thinking creatively to keep long-term relationships with customers first priority.
- From the boardroom and beyond, the world’s population is not represented in the current power structure. It’s the responsibility of those in power to invite others to power. We wrap up our interview with a conversation about diversity, inclusion, and examining unconscious bias.
- Claroty, a company that’s bridging the industrial cybersecurity gap between IT and OT
- It’s Time to Stand with Women in Power, an article by Galina Antova
- The Confidence Code: The Science and Art of Self-Assurance–What Women Should Know, by Katty Kay & Claire Shipman
- Playing Big: Practical Wisdom for Women Who Want to Speak Up, Create, and Lead, by Tara Mohr
- Presence: Bringing Your Boldest Self to Your Biggest Challenges, by Amy Cuddy
- Join the Manufacturing Happy Hour Industry Community on LinkedIn