We’re back with another cybersecurity edition of the podcast, only this time, we’re focused on ransomware. Today we’re joined by Ofer Shaked, Co-Founder and CTO of SCADAfence, an Israel-based security company with the most comprehensive OT and IoT cybersecurity platform for critical infrastructure and enterprises. He’ll be sharing the details of a targeted ransomware attack he and his team recently helped resolve.
In this episode, we’ll cover why targeted cyberattacks are becoming more common, why manufacturing is such a hot target, and what it’s like being on the ground floor of a cyberattack. Ofer walks us through how the SCADAfence team responds and the steps they take to address these events. Finally, we’ll share what might be next in the cyberthreat landscape.
Apple | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | YouTube
3 Quick Things from this Episode
- Managing the technical aspects of a cybersecurity attack is the easy part. The emotional and human aspects are the challenge.
- With the right actions and best practices, you can reduce the risk of a cyberattack while still allowing 3rd party vendors to access your systems.
- As manufacturing enterprises have started increasing their connectivity over the past decade, a combination of aging network architectures, vulnerabilities of the IoT, and not having the right cybersecurity talent make industrial networks a perfect target for ransomware.
Enjoying the show? Please leave us a review here. Even one sentence helps. It’s feedback from Manufacturing All-Stars like you that keeps us going!
Please Scroll Down for Full Show Notes and Recommended Resources from this Episode
Do you want to connect with other leaders that are moving the needle in manufacturing everyday? Then make sure to join us in the Manufacturing Happy Hour Industry Community on LinkedIn.
SteamChain.io is the Machine-as-a-Service solution provider helping both End-Users and OEMs collaborate, drive revenue, and grow together. Learn more about them on Episode 5 of Manufacturing Happy Hour.
Interested in generating leads through videos, podcasts, or other digital content? Then make sure to check out our 6 Strategies for Growing Your Manufacturing Business Using Social Media.
What We Discuss with Ofer
- We learn about Ofer’s experience in Unit 8200 of the Israel Defense Forces and how it became such a strong incubator for cybersecurity talent.
- Ofer shares why targeted ransomware attacks are becoming more prevalent, particularly in the manufacturing sector.
- We discuss the anatomy of a targeted ransomware attack in the context of a recent one where SCADAfence was called to respond. Ofer sets the stage by describing what it’s like being in the room when an attack starts to take place.
- There are technical as well as emotional and human aspects that need to be handled when you’re in the middle of a ransomware attack.
- Ofer summarizes the steps needed to take to identify and resolve the issues created by the attackers.
- We wrap up with Ofer sharing the steps to reduce the risk of being the target of a cyberattack, how to safely handle 3rd party access, and what other cyber threats companies should start preparing for.
- SCADAfence, OT & IoT cybersecurity for critical infrastructure and enterprises
- The Anatomy of a Targeted Ransomware Attack, a true story of one of SCADAfence’s recent incident responses to an industrial ransomware cyberattack.
- The Cybersecurity Cocktail Book by SCADAfence, the perfect piece of marketing collateral doesn’t exi…wait, yes it does! This eBook features 9 cybersecurity-themed cocktails paired with practical security tips.