Chris Grainger has had a long, illustrious career in electrical distribution, currently serving as the Engineering & Services Manager for the Electrical Equipment Company, better known as EECO. Now, he’s also the host of the podcast EECO Asks Why, a show that focuses on the heroes and ideas impacting the industrial world.
In this episode, we talk about the origin story of how Chris’s career in electrical distribution got started, how he launched his amazing podcast, and how he secured buy-in from his company. As we dive further into Chris’ love for podcasting, we cover the nuts and bolts of running a good, consistent podcast. Last but not least, we talk about some of Chris’s biggest lessons from podcasting that you’ll want to pay close attention to if you want to start a successful podcast of your own!
3 Quick Things from this Episode
- If you’re in the manufacturing industry and trying to figure out where to go next – look for what gives you true fulfillment
- To have the best type of conversations with a guest on your podcast, you’ve got to do your front-end homework, invest time, and have empathy and compassion for your guest
- You can learn so much from guests on your podcast, so make sure that you sit back, let it sink in, and listen
Enjoying the show? Please leave us a review here. Even one sentence helps. It’s feedback from Manufacturing All-Stars like you that keeps us going!
- “If you really care about the guest and you want to put the best spotlight you can on the guest, you better do your front-end homework.” – Chris Grainger
- “Everybody has a different style…find one that works for you and make it yours.” – Chris Grainger
- “When passion and talent align, you get that moment of joy, where you feel like you’re doing what you’re supposed to be doing.” – Chris Grainger
Please Scroll Down for Recommended Resources from this Episode
Do you want to connect with other leaders that are moving the needle in manufacturing everyday? Then make sure to join us in the Manufacturing Happy Hour Industry Community on LinkedIn.
SteamChain.io is the Machine-as-a-Service solution provider helping both End-Users and OEMs collaborate, drive revenue, and grow together. Learn more about them on Episode 5 of Manufacturing Happy Hour.
Interested in generating leads through videos, podcasts, or other digital content? Then make sure to check out our 6 Strategies for Growing Your Manufacturing Business Using Social Media.
What We Discuss with Chris
- We start the conversation by addressing what the podcast, EECO Asks Why, is about
- What drew Chris to the manufacturing industry (and held his interest for 18+ years!)
- Chris reflects on his self-awareness journey that brought him to the service side of the business
- What systems and processes help Chris balance his day job and his passion for podcasting
- We talk about all the ways Chris prepares for an interview and the importance of doing your front-end homework on your guests
- Chris reveals one of the most unexpected lessons he learned from hosting a podcast
- Why Chris and EECO decided to record and publish two podcast episodes per week instead of one
- Chris shares some incredible results that have been generated from the EECO Asks Why podcast
- Chris discusses what has been the most rewarding part of hosting a podcast for him personally
- What hobbies have kept Chris occupied lately besides hosting an amazing podcast
- EECO Asks Why, an industrial distribution and manufacturing industry podcast focused on the people and ideas in this industry (not product)
- EECO (Electrical Equipment Company), leading industrial automation and electrical distributor serving Virginia and the Carolinas
- Tom Woodson on EECO Asks Why, Episode 36 of EECO Asks Why featuring one of Chris Grainger’s standout guests
Connect with Guest Name and Business