Zach Arnold is the President of Arnold Machine Inc. (AMI), a premier full-service engineering and equipment manufacturing business that he’s been running for almost three decades. After starting the company in a garage in 1994, AMI now operates out of a 50,000 square-foot facility in Tiffin, Ohio, where they make innovative automated equipment for applications in automotive, appliance, heavy industry, and beyond.
In this episode of Manufacturing Happy Hour, we sat down with Zach to discuss where AMI all started as a side business, eventually progressing to what it is today. Zach discusses the critical lessons he learned along the way, why he embraces innovation in manufacturing, and how he values building relationships as a vital part of the business. He also goes on to explain Machine as a Service and his approach to team training.
3 Quick Things from this Episode
- Starting a business in manufacturing isn’t just about getting the work done. There’s plenty to learn about running a business, such as accounting and hiring, which can be a big learning curve.
- Innovation is key to manufacturing. Embracing it and learning about new methods and markets is crucial to success.
- Manufacturing isn’t just about the nuts and bolts of the industry. It’s also about the people you work with, your customers, suppliers, and how you manage your team.
Enjoying the show? Please leave us a review here. Even one sentence helps. It’s feedback from Manufacturing All-Stars like you that keeps us going!
- “Don’t be afraid to work, work, work and be a sponge. Soak up everything you possibly can.”
- “Keep the customer up to speed on what exactly is going on, answer questions, and do business with integrity.”
- “The nuts and bolts, for the most part, the processes, the components that we use, the thought process, it’s all very similar.”
Please Scroll Down for Recommended Resources from this Episode
Do you want to connect with other leaders that are moving the needle in manufacturing every day? Then make sure to join us in the Manufacturing Happy Hour Industry Community on LinkedIn.
GenAlpha equips manufacturers, distributors, and dealers with the products and services they need to accelerate profits online. If you are an equipment manufacturer or distributor and your customers struggle to identify the right parts for the job, GenAlpha can help. You can learn all about GenAlpha on Episode 34.
SteamChain.io is the Machine-as-a-Service solution provider helping both End-Users and OEMs collaborate, drive revenue, and grow together. Learn more about them on Episode 5 of Manufacturing Happy Hour.
Interested in generating leads through videos, podcasts, or other digital content? Then make sure to check out our 6 Strategies for Growing Your Manufacturing Business Using Social Media
What We Discuss with Zach
- Where AMI’s story started from a side hustle in a garage to where it is today
- The challenges Zach faced when managing a business
- Why innovation is important to embrace rather than fight
- How Zach approaches different manufacturing markets
- What Machine as a Service is and the benefits of it
- The importance of team training and getting the right people in the right roles
- Arnold Machine Inc. (AMI), collaborating with clients to engineer custom automation equipment
- Clover Club, the go-to tavern in Tiffin, OH