Patrick O’Rahilly is the Founder of FactoryFix, a Chicago and Madison-based technology company connecting manufacturers with a network of vetted, skilled professionals through their innovative matchmaking platform. Said another way, Patrick and FactoryFix are taking on the hiring challenges of the manufacturing sector head-on!
This episode of Manufacturing Happy Hour was recorded live during a fireside chat from one of our recent virtual happy hours. We cover common hiring mistakes, Patrick’s thoughts on the current manufacturing labor market, and what the future of hiring looks like for manufacturers. Then, we open it up to a Q&A and discussion with the rest of the Manufacturing Happy Hour Industry Community.
3 Quick Things from this Episode
- A common mistake in recruiting is making the process unnecessarily long with multiple steps. Recruitment is fast-paced, and you need a solid hiring system in place.
- Many hiring decisions are reactive when they should be proactive. Being proactive and establishing clear career paths can improve both recruitment and retention.
- One of the issues that employers overlook is pay rates, which is a common problem in attracting new talent to the manufacturing workforce.
Enjoying the show? Please leave us a review here. Even one sentence helps. It’s feedback from Manufacturing All-Stars like you that keeps us going!
- “Land and expand. Get in the door, show what you can do and justify that higher wage.”
- “There’s a lot of unnecessary friction in recruiting and the hiring process…if you’re not hitting these applicants up the same day, forget about it, they’re gone.”
- “A lot of hiring is reactive. There’s no plan for an employee once they get hired into one of these production positions.”
Please Scroll Down for Recommended Resources from this Episode
Do you want to connect with other leaders that are moving the needle in manufacturing everyday? Then make sure to join us in the Manufacturing Happy Hour Industry Community on LinkedIn.
SteamChain.io is the Machine-as-a-Service solution provider helping both End-Users and OEMs collaborate, drive revenue, and grow together. Learn more about them on Episode 5 of Manufacturing Happy Hour.
Interested in generating leads through videos, podcasts, or other digital content? Then make sure to check out our 6 Strategies for Growing Your Manufacturing Business Using Social Media.
What We Discuss with Patrick
- How FactoryFix plays matchmaker between talented professionals and employers
- The most common mistakes people make with recruitment
- Why you should be proactive, not reactive when hiring
- Why employers need to address the pay rates problem
- Patrick’s tips for people new to the industry
- FactoryFix, a platform connecting manufacturers with a network of vetted, skilled professionals
- Old Irving Brewing Co., a hidden gem on the northwest side of Chicago
- The Green Door Tavern, since 1872, Green Door Tavern is Chicago’s oldest tavern – serving over 100 years of trouble (the good kind)