Is the world of automation and autonomous mobile robots (AMRs) something to fear or celebrate?
People worry about robots taking jobs, but according to this Manufacturing Happy Hour guest, robots are here to save the day.
Jeff Christensen, VP of Product at Seegrid, joins this episode of Manufacturing Happy Hour to talk about his work with AMR, automation, and problem-solving technology in the manufacturing space. He challenges the idea that automation and robots are something to be worried about and prefers to think of them as more complementary to human workers.
Jeff also explains how technological advancement raises the bar for society and why people shouldn’t be so averse to adopting new technology and AMR into their production lines.
3 Quick Things from this Episode
- When the industry needs to be faster, better, cheaper, that’s where robots and automation save the day.
- Humans and robots are complementary to each other. Humans are better at creative problem-solving, whereas robots are better at repetitive, math-based tasks.
- Technological advancement raises the bar for society by creating much-needed change and solving problems.
Enjoying the show? Please leave us a review here. Even one sentence helps. It’s feedback from Manufacturing All-Stars like you that keeps us going!
- “Robots are cool. But they’re being applied to a real business problem. They’re delivering real value. At exactly the time that the market desperately needs a new answer.”
- “The faster you move, the more advantage you’re going to have over your competition in the future.”
- “The industry is facing all sorts of pressures, economic pressures, demand pressures. They’ve got to go faster, better, cheaper, all at the same time. And they just can’t do with the old ways. And robots happened to be here to save the day.”
Please Scroll Down for Recommended Resources from this Episode
Do you want to connect with other leaders that are moving the needle in manufacturing every day? Then make sure to join us in the Manufacturing Happy Hour Industry Community on LinkedIn.
SteamChain.io is the Machine-as-a-Service solution provider helping both End-Users and OEMs collaborate, drive revenue, and grow together. Learn more about them on Episode 5 of Manufacturing Happy Hour.
Audible is the world’s largest library of audiobooks and other spoken-word entertainment. Get a FREE audiobook when you sign up at audibletrial.com/happyhourpod.
Concept Systems Inc. is an independent systems integrator and your automation solution partner for anything from antiquated control system retrofits to greenfield controls coordination and project management. Learn more about them on Episode 7 of Manufacturing Happy Hour.
Interested in generating leads through videos, podcasts, or other digital content? Then make sure to check out our 6 Strategies for Growing Your Manufacturing Business Using Social Media.
What We Discuss with Jeff
- Jeff gives us a rundown on why robotics is so important in modern manufacturing
- We hear how Jeff made a jump from a background in music and economics into the world of AMR
- Jeff gives us a quick explanation of what autonomous mobile robots are and why they’re useful
- How humans and robots are good at different things
- How the manufacturing industry has adapted to automation and new technology
- Why some in the industry are hesitant to adapt to automation and AMR
- Seegrid, a smart solution combing autonomous mobile robots, enterprise software, warehouse equipment, and more.
- Sharp Edge, a Pittsburgh bar and brewery specializing in Belgian beer.
Connect with Seegrid