You’ve seen the viral videos of Spot, Boston Dynamics’ famous robotic dog, dancing to your favorite tunes, but did you know that this canine-inspired mobile robot has tons of practical applications in manufacturing too? Michael Perry, VP of Business Development at Boston Dynamics, shares how Spot is helping manufacturers optimize their processes and improve their safety standards in this week’s interview.
In this episode of Manufacturing Happy Hour, Michael shares some insights into his background and how he came to work with robots. He explains how and why Spot was created and what more mobile robots in the industry could mean for safety, processes, and efficiency. He also gives us a window into where he thinks the future of mobile robots is heading.
3 Quick Things from this Episode
- Using mobile robots in the industry has multiple benefits, from safety to efficiency and risk prevention.
- The key to the development of the robot dog Spot was the need for agile mobile robots that could adapt to different terrains.
- Enabling customers to use new technology and seeing how they use it will show exactly what is needed from a product.
Enjoying the show? Please leave us a review here. Even one sentence helps. It’s feedback from Manufacturing All-Stars like you that keeps us going!
- “With Boston Dynamics, we’ve gone abroad much faster than a typical start-up would because we see a lot of the value that the international ecosystem of customers and partners are able to provide to the technology.”
- “The area that’s coming next for the robot is this notion of mobile manipulation. And so, where the robots not just sensing the world, but sensing the world and physically interacting with it.”
- “I think that it’s going to be a game-changer for the technology.”
Please Scroll Down for Recommended Resources from this Episode
Do you want to connect with other leaders that are moving the needle in manufacturing everyday? Then make sure to join us in the Manufacturing Happy Hour Industry Community on LinkedIn.
GenAlpha equips manufacturers, distributors and dealers with the products and services they need to accelerate profits online. If you are an equipment manufacturer or distributor and your customers struggle to identify the right parts for the job, GenAlpha can help. You can learn all about GenAlpha on Episode 34.
Interested in generating leads through videos, podcasts, or other digital content? Then make sure to check out our 6 Strategies for Growing Your Manufacturing Business Using Social Media.
What We Discuss with Michael
- The potential use cases for mobile robots
- The benefits of using mobile robots in manufacturing and other industries
- Why a great product is key to a great business
- How Boston Dynamics created Spot the robot dancing dog
- How robots can improve safety and processes
- What the future of mobile robots will look like
- Boston Dynamics, a robotics design company born out of MIT that also has application expertise in manufacturing, including case studies at Ford, Merck, and many others
- Might Squirrel Brewing Co., a Waltham, MA brewery complete with food trucks and a climbing wall
Connect with Michael and Boston Dynamics