Joachim Hensch is a master tailor and for years dreamed of opening his own shop. In reality, he did that on a much larger scale during his 24+ year career at HUGO BOSS. There, he moved from product development to becoming the Managing Director of their massive Izmir, Turkey facility, where he led a best-in-class digital transformation. Now, he’s helping other manufacturing leaders with their digital transformations through Joachim Hensch Consulting.
In this episode, Joachim takes us through the story of his career. He shares the learnings he’s picked up along the way that allows him to give world-class advice to his clients today. He explains why digital transformation is a must, but it has to be done the right way. Joachim has seen many mistakes from business leaders, and it often boils down to focusing too much on the tech rather than building a plan first.
Joachim also shares his thoughts on Industry 4.0 and reveals how it’s not really about the tech. It’s about solving the complexities of a growing company. We round the talk off by agreeing that there is one thing you can’t apply digitalization to – and that’s having a beer with friends.
3 Quick Things from this Episode
- Digital transformation all starts with a plan, not the tech. According to Joachim, you need to be strategic about digitalization.
- Industry 4.0 is about solving complexities that come with a growth of customers. It’s not about finding the next best tech tool.
- Transparency in the workplace can boost morale by helping employees take ownership of their development to become their own managers.
Enjoying the show? Please leave us a review here. Even one sentence helps. It’s feedback from Manufacturing All-Stars like you that keeps us going!
- “There’s a huge misunderstanding because people always start with tech. And what I do nowadays is I help organizations and companies and leaders in first crafting the plan.”
- “One of the tools to handle complexity is digitalization. But we don’t start with digitalization. This is just the tool.”
- “When you do this transformation, you have to make a lot of bold moves. And you have to also accept that a lot of things won’t work, so you have to be fast in making corrections.”
Please Scroll Down for Recommended Resources from this Episode
Do you want to connect with other leaders that are moving the needle in manufacturing everyday? Then make sure to join us in the Manufacturing Happy Hour Industry Community on LinkedIn.
Audible is the world’s largest library of audiobooks and other spoken-word entertainment. Get a FREE audiobook when you sign up at audibletrial.com/happyhourpod.
Interested in generating leads through videos, podcasts, or other digital content? Then make sure to check out our 6 Strategies for Growing Your Manufacturing Business Using Social Media.
What We Discuss with Joachim
- Why companies need to embrace digital transformation
- Joachim’s early career as a tailor
- How Joachim pivoted to a managerial role at HUGO BOSS
- How he managed to motivate and speak to a team of 4,000 people
- Why Joachim decided to build a digital twin
- The impact transparency in the workplace has on morale
- Top mistakes in digital transformation to avoid
- Why now is the best time to start a business
- Joachim Hensch Consulting, helping manufacturers create their factory of the future with the tools of Industry 4.0…no academic talk, just action!
- VIDEO: Joachim Hensch, TEDxBergamo, Smart Factory? Smart People?
- VIDEO: Creating a tailored production process with Joachim Hensch, The Leadership Network
- HUGO BOSS, a German luxury fashion house headquartered in Metzingen, Baden-Württemberg
Connect with Joachim