Jeff Winter is an Industry Executive for Manufacturing at Microsoft who helps manufacturers across the US digitally transform at scale. Plus, he’s seen a few things over the past 15 years through his involvement in the Industry 4.0 community and Smart Manufacturing-centric leadership within organizations like ISA (International Society of Automation).
In this episode, Jeff shares some fascinating statistics and trends in data management and digital transformation. He explores how the present data generation and storage habits call for more defined data strategies going forward. We hear some IoT trends and common barriers to a successful digital transformation initiative.
3 Quick Things from this Episode
- Companies are generating more data, but most are not taking advantage of that data, let alone knowing what data aligns with their objectives
- Quality is the number one reason companies adopt IoT, while security is a measure of success
- Most digital transformation initiatives don’t actually drive transformation
Enjoying the show? Please leave us a review here. Even one sentence helps. It’s feedback from Manufacturing All-Stars like you that keeps us going!
- “Digital transformation drastically changes the way companies operate, which is both scary and difficult.”
- “Spend as much time investing in the right company culture as you do in the right technology.”
- “Part of your company’s overall data strategy works its way backward into the data roles needed within the organization.”
Please Scroll Down for Recommended Resources from this Episode
Do you want to connect with other leaders that are moving the needle in manufacturing every day? Then make sure to join us in the Manufacturing Happy Hour Industry Community on LinkedIn.
GenAlpha equips manufacturers, distributors and dealers with the products and services they need to accelerate profits online. If you are an equipment manufacturer or distributor and your customers struggle to identify the right parts for the job, GenAlpha can help. You can learn all about GenAlpha on Episode 34.
Interested in generating leads through videos, podcasts, or other digital content? Then make sure to check out our 6 Strategies for Growing Your Manufacturing Business Using Social Media.
What We Discuss with Jeff
- Why there’s a growing gap between data generated and storage capabilities (with statistics!)
- What current trends are around the different types of data
- Why data roles are rising in demand
- Interesting trends in IoT
- Why most digital transformation initiatives fail
- How company culture affects how organizations address new technology
- Empire Burgers & Brew, spot for elevated comfort fare, cocktails, wine & craft brews, plus a year-round roof deck in Naperville, IL
Connect with Jeff