Darrin Mitchell is the CEO of Mitchell Industries and the Chief Marketing Officer of Manufacturing Masters, an on-demand video platform featuring the world’s best manufacturing information. But before that, he was the CEO of a manufacturing company of his own for almost 20 years called Trout River Industries.
In this episode, Darrin gives us a bit of backstory on how he built the ‘Netflix of manufacturing’ after selling Trout River Industries. He shares the challenges of parting ways with his company and the important lessons he learned throughout his career.
Darrin doesn’t hold back and gives some solid tips for business owners in the manufacturing space about dealing with competition, finding balance in your life, and making better decisions going forward. He explains how Manufacturing Masters works and how it can help others in their quest to build better manufacturing businesses.
Make sure to visit ManufacturingHappyHour.com for detailed show notes and a full list of resources mentioned in this episode. Stay Innovative, Stay Thirsty.
3 Quick Things from this Episode
- Competing is pointless in many cases. Customers want you to solve problems, not just beat your competition.
- Trying to be everything to everyone is a sure-fire way to lose much-needed focus in your business. Instead, keep things simple, your customers will thank you for it.
- Businesses need to start on a solid foundation so that you can make the best decisions going forward when it comes to new tech, trends, and challenges.
Enjoying the show? Please leave us a review here. Even one sentence helps. It’s feedback from Manufacturing All-Stars like you that keeps us going!
- “It’s very important to occupy the mind space of your current and unknown future customers.”
- “If your mindset is to compete, you’re just using energy that inevitably is just for a completely lost cause. Because ultimately, your customers want to see you as a problem solver, not someone who just beat up their competitor.”
- “If you’re thinking about the future of manufacturing, everything is in partnerships. And you have to make sure they’re healthy partnerships.”
Please Scroll Down for Recommended Resources from this Episode
Do you want to connect with other leaders that are moving the needle in manufacturing everyday? Then make sure to join us in the Manufacturing Happy Hour Industry Community on LinkedIn.
A3 is the leading global automation trade association of the robotics, machine vision, motion control, and AI industries. Their events are some of the best places to get connected in the industry. Make sure to check out their marquee event Automate taking place in Detroit, MI June 6-9, 2022. Head to AutomateShow.com to register for free today.
Interested in generating leads through videos, podcasts, or other digital content? Then make sure to check out our 6 Strategies for Growing Your Manufacturing Business Using Social Media.
What We Discuss with Darrin
- Why Darrin built the ‘Netflix of manufacturing’
- Why sometimes it’s better to collaborate than compete
- The importance of building healthy partnerships in manufacturing
- Why you shouldn’t try to be everything to everyone
- How to find a balance between work and home life
- What it’s like to sell a business that’s become part of your identity
- How Manufacturing Masters works
- Manufacturing Masters, training and content developed just for manufacturers from over 80 industry experts
- Mitchell Industries, offering a range of coaching and resource services