Sarah Boisvert has a long history in the manufacturing world. She started her career in lasers which fed into 3D printing, and now she’s helping close the skills gap as the Founder of both the Fab Lab Hub and the New Collar Network.
In this episode, Sarah delves into the inspiration behind the New Collar Movement and how it’s impacted her career since then. She also explains the thinking behind Fab Labs and gives some insights into the programs offered, digital badges awarded, and unique teaching approaches applied.
Sarah goes on to highlight the value of problem-solving skills for the modern-day manufacturing workforce and explains why it’s so much more important than test-taking skills and knowledge regurgitation.
3 Quick Things from this Episode
- In recent times, there’s been a movement towards more customized training.
- One key problem faced by manufacturers is finding people with good problem-solving skills.
- There’s more interest at the college level on certificates, digital badges, and short-term programs.
Enjoying the show? Please leave us a review here. Even one sentence helps. It’s feedback from Manufacturing All-Stars like you that keeps us going!
- “Unless you’re going to become an engineer, a doctor, or lawyer, college doesn’t necessarily ensure a successful career economically.”
- “A critical part of our program is to ensure people can apply for jobs with a portfolio because it tells an HR person so much more than a certificate or a degree.”
- “Today, it’s easy to find an engineer but try and find a CNC machinist — it’s hard because everyone’s convinced that they need to go to college.”
Please Scroll Down for Recommended Resources from this Episode
Do you want to connect with other leaders that are moving the needle in manufacturing every day? Then make sure to join us in the Manufacturing Happy Hour Industry Community on LinkedIn.
Looking for the premier cross-industry manufacturing show? Look no further than IME West. One of Informa Markets’ main events, this is the place in our industry where buyers and sellers can connect. Register today.
Interested in generating leads through videos, podcasts, or other digital content? Then make sure to check out our 6 Strategies for Growing Your Manufacturing Business Using Social Media.
What We Discuss with Sarah
- Sarah’s insights into the new collar movement
- How Sarah transitioned from working with lasers to 3D printing
- What fab labs are and how they operate
- The importance of problem-solving skills in manufacturing
- Where Sarah believes education will be in five years
- The New Collar Workforce: An Insider’s Guide to Making Impactful Changes to Manufacturing and Training by Sarah Boisvert
- New Collar Network, a non-profit organization that provides skill-specific, short, affordable training for new collar jobs
- Fab Lab Hub, a part of the international Fab Lab network that provides nationwide hands-on training for the new collar workforce
Connect with Sarah