This just might be our biggest episodes ever. Today’s episode is a recap of the 2023 Celebration of Construction Equipment on the Nation Mall, hosted by AEM, the Association of Equipment Manufacturers. You’ll hear from a ton of folks from the big names in equipment manufacturing as we discuss topics impacting the construction industry and beyond. In fact, seeing as how this is a manufacturing-centric podcast, you’ll likely find that there are many parallels there are between construction and manufacturing.
In May 2023, the National Mall – the area right between the Washington Monument and the US Capitol Building – was covered with heavy equipment that was on display for all to see. This included some of the biggest earth-moving equipment from big names like Komatsu, Caterpillar, Bobcat, John Deere, and Volvo. All of this was done in an effort to showcase industry innovations like alternatively powered equipment, autonomous systems, as well as exhibits focusing on workforce development, safety, sustainable materials.
All of these interviews were recorded live, from a stage on the Capitol Mall, where we interviewed construction industry leaders across 14 different panel discussions and fireside chat-style conversations. This episode is a highlight reel with some of the top insights and takeaways from those discussions. This compilation should give you a vibe of the event and the type of work that the Association of Equipment Manufacturers is doing.
We also cover the type of collaboration that’s needed between the the private sector and government to make meaningful progress toward getting folks educated and trained, filling jobs, and improving infrastructure. Finally, you’ll hear some things we’ve never talked about on this podcast before. From aggregates to the recyclability of asphalt, we’ll give you a nice behind-the-scenes into some of the processes and technologies that are big in the construction space.
Please Scroll Down for Full Show Notes and Recommended Resources from this Episode
Enjoying the show? Please leave us a review here. Even one sentence helps. It’s feedback from Manufacturing All-Stars like you that keeps us going!
Do you want to connect with other leaders that are moving the needle in manufacturing everyday? Then make sure to join us in the Manufacturing Happy Hour Industry Community on LinkedIn.
EPLAN provides software and service solutions in the fields of electrical engineering, automation, and mechatronics engineering. They’ve developed one of the world’s leading design software solutions for machine, plant, and panel builders, providing data-driven panel design capabilities to manufacturers. Click here to listen to our full interview with EPLAN’s International Solutions Architect Sean Mulherrin.
Interested in generating leads through videos, podcasts, or other digital content? Then make sure to check out our 6 Strategies for Growing Your Manufacturing Business Using Social Media.
- The Association for Equipment Manufacturers (AEM) is advancing equipment manufacturers in the global marketplace. They’re on a mission not only to help businesses succeed, but to build a community so that the industry as a whole can make positive, lasting change.
- Infrastructure Investment & Jobs Act, updated fact sheet from The White House website detailing this historic bill
- Perkins Career and Technical Education (CTE) Act, information provided by ImmigrationForum.org
Connect with Our Guests from Today’s Episode
- Rod Schrader, Chairman & CEO, Komatsu America
- Jim Young, Sr. Director of Congressional Relations for Labor, HR, and Safety, AGC (Associated General Contractors of America)
- Jesse Walz, NUCA
- Sean Fitzgerrel, Sr. Director of Workforce & Industry Initiatives, AED (Associated Equipment Distributors)
- Kate Fox Wood, VP of Federal Affairs, Association of Equipment Manufacturers
- Brian Dietz, Co-Owner, Bob Dietz & Sons
- Jason Anetsberger, Director of Jobsite Solutions, Komatsu
- Stacy Tetschner, President & CEO, ATSSA
- Todd Roecker, VP of Growth Initiatives, DEVELON
- Maryanne Graves, Global Manager, John Deere
- Pete Large, Senior Vice President, Buildings & Infrastructure, Trimble
- Steve Flaherty, CEO, necoTECH
- Brian Bieler, President, BOMAG
- Matt Smith, Caterpillar
- Ray Gallant, VP Product Management and Productivity, Volvo Construction Equipment
- Ilmars Nartish, VP of North America, Manitou
- Jake Jeffords, Director of Sales, Marketing & Global Accounts, Vermeer
- Jim McEvoy, President & CEO, Wirtgen America
- Ester Magorka, Industry Promotion & Membership, National Asphalt Pavement Association
- Jamie Roush, President & General Manager, Dynapac