Smart Manufacturing goes way beyond being just a buzzword. It’s a movement and mindset taking the industry by storm. But what does it really mean, what are the key benefits and how can manufacturing leaders get started today?
Manufacturing Happy Hour host Chris Luecke asked industry experts these questions live at the Smart Manufacturing Experience at SOUTHTEC. In this special bonus episode, seven manufacturing leaders shared their own definitions of Smart Manufacturing, the secrets behind the successful digital transformations they’ve overseen and the best ways to adopt a Smart Manufacturing mindset.
Stay tuned for part 2 with more inspirational manufacturing leaders next week!
Guests in this episode include:
- Sudhi Bangalore – Founding Partner & CEO, Full-Bore
- Mike Tomasco – VP, Pfizer Digital
- Patrick Gaughan – Partner, Axiom Manufacturing Systems
- Aldo Ferrante – CIO, SORBA.ai
- Michael Clark – Director, OPC Foundation
- Erich Barnstedt – Chief Architect, Standards, Consortia & Industrial IoT, Azure Edge & Platform, Microsoft
- Katherine Cahalane – Founder & CEO, BennitAI
3 Quick Things from this Episode
- Manufacturing leaders don’t always need to be focused on ROI. They need to trust having more data will create value.
- Smart Manufacturing is a mindset, while digital transformation is a physical movement.
- Data-led decision-making is what makes manufacturing processes ‘smart’.
Enjoying the show? Please leave us a review here. Even one sentence helps. It’s feedback from Manufacturing All-Stars like you that keeps us going!
- Regarding digital transformation: “Just because you’re smaller doesn’t necessarily mean that your aspiration needs to be smaller. It’s just that you have to be smarter in terms of where you start.” – Sudhi Bangalore
- Regarding smart manufacturing: “If you have access to data to make better decisions, you can have a better outcome.” – Mike Tomasco
- “We need Smart Manufacturing. We need smart ways to make us more effective. There’s not enough people…so you have to build ways to use data to be more effective and to help scale. – Aldo Ferrante
Please Scroll Down for Recommended Resources from this Episode
Do you want to connect with other leaders that are moving the needle in manufacturing everyday? Then make sure to join us in the Manufacturing Happy Hour Industry Community on LinkedIn.
3M’s Clash of the Grinders: Student Edition is a high-stakes grinding and welding competition that pits soon to be pros against each other to find the next best in the skilled trades. 3M is committed to skilled trade education with a goal of creating 5 million skilled trades and STEM learning experiences designed to inspire curiosity, improve educational outcomes, and provide transformational opportunities for underrepresented individuals. Make sure to subscribe to the 3M Abrasives YouTube channel to catch Clash of the Grinders today.
The Smart Manufacturing Experience is back in 2024! Join SME, CESMII, and the industry leaders that are driving Smart Manufacturing forward in Pittsburgh, PA on June 4-6, 2024. Come export the intersection of technology, people and knowledge and learn about new advancements in Smart Manufacturing. Go to SmartManufacturingExperience.com to RSVP today.
What We Discuss
- How to describe a Smart Manufacturing mindset
- Why ROI isn’t the be all and end all for manufacturing leaders
- How to undergo a successful digital transformation
- Why Smart Manufacturing is a necessity, not an option
- What drives industry leaders to be Smart Manufacturers
- The secrets behind Pfizer’s Smart Manufacturing endeavors
- Keeping user experience design at the center of Smart Manufacturing
- CESMII, the United States’ non-profit institute dedicated to Smart Manufacturing (SM), working to reduce cost, complexity and time-to-value so all manufacturers can engage
- SME, the Society of Manufacturing Engineers, a non-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of manufacturing, elevating manufacturers, academia and the communities in which they operate
Connect with CESMII