How do you turn areas that were once manufacturing powerhouses back into regions with thriving economies? Brandon Cornuke & Michael Goldberg believe developing strong manufacturing ecosystems is a big part of the answer.
Brandon Cornuke is the Vice President of Startup Services at MAGNET, a Cleveland-based organization that helps manufacturers in Northeast Ohio grow their operations, workforces, and startups. Michael Goldberg is a Professor of Design & Innovation at Case Western Reserve University’s Weatherhead School of Management and leader of the successful Coursera MOOC “Beyond Silicon Valley.” These two individuals are on a mission to help budding entrepreneurs in Cleveland and other transitioning economies get the education and resources they need to build successful companies.
In this episode, we discuss how the future of manufacturing is technology-driven, the type of support ecosystems that are necessary to help manufacturing companies grow and prosper, and the role that education will continue to play in enabling the manufacturing workforce, all the way down to the trade level. Michael and Brandon have plenty of examples to share about manufacturers that are taking advantage of the resources they have available, regardless of whether they’re in Bosnia, Indonesia, or Cleveland.
3 Quick Things from this Episode
- The future of manufacturing is technology-driven.
- It’s essential to have investment from both the public and private sectors for entrepreneurship and manufacturing in transitioning economies to thrive.
- From STEM fields to trades, higher education will continue to play a critical role in readying men and women for the workforce.
Enjoying the show? Please leave us a review here. Even one sentence helps. It’s feedback from Manufacturing All-Stars like you that keeps us going!
- “It’s everybody’s obligation to challenge higher ed in how it thinks about readying our workforce for a future in technology-driven manufacturing.” –Brandon Cornuke
- “It’s human and talent-centered. That is the future of manufacturing.” –Brandon Cornuke
Please Scroll Down for Full Show Notes and Recommended Resources from this Episode
Interested in generating leads through videos, podcasts, or other digital content? Then make sure to check out our 6 Strategies for Growing Your Manufacturing Business Using Social Media.
Audible is the world’s largest library of audiobooks and other spoken-word entertainment. Get a FREE audiobook when you sign up at audibletrial.com/happyhourpod.
What We Discuss with Michael & Brandon
Brandon tells us why manufacturing is far from dead and why “the future of manufacturing is technology-driven.”
- MAGNET helps manufacturers grow and thrive by providing resources, career resources including a European-style apprenticeship model, and an “iterator” to help innovators turn physical products into companies.
- We learn about a couple companies that have been directly impacted by MAGNET’s services, including one of the world’s largest industrial 3D printers and a success new party game.
- Michael shares his history in startups, join venture work, and even working for AOL, while Brandon cut his teeth in software consulting, his own body powder business, and big retail.
- As large companies become less local and more global, having an ecosystem with a mix of private investing, NGOs, and government support is a critical piece for helping transitioning economies thrive. Described another way, the “three-legged stool” is a combination of private funding & corporate support, government funding, and donors.
- While progress for transitioning economies is best measured in decades, Brandon and Michael share some other success metrics that can be used to monitor success.
- Over 135,000 students from 190 countries have taken Michael Goldberg’s Beyond Silicon Valley MOOC on Coursera, and he shares some stories about collaboration and serendipity around the world.
- We discuss how education still plays a major role in developing one’s entrepreneurial prowess, as well as other modes of getting an education.
- As manufacturing jobs continue to become more technology-driven, the future of manufacturing and automation will allow people to do higher level work.
- Michael’s book Beyond Silicon Valley: How One Online Course Helped Support Global Entrepreneurs featuring 20 inspiring stories of entrepreneurs in communities around the world is available on Amazon or for free download at com
- Take Beyond Silicon Valley: Growing Entrepreneurship in Transitioning Economies on Coursera
- MAGNET – The Manufacturing Advocacy and Growth Network – is resource for manufacturers and those seeking careers in manufacturing in northeast Ohio
- Beyond Silicon Valley, a TEDx talk by Michael Goldberg
- Cleveland Whiskey, a distillery based inside of the MAGNET facility
- momocho, a “Mod Mex” restaurant in Cleveland’s Ohio City neighborhood